This week we are starting the landscaping for our backyard. We have been in our home for about three years and are finally getting around to this project. Even though it’s a tiny backyard we are excited to finally get it done. We won’t be doing this one ourselves though. Neither my husband or I know anything about landscaping. We have hired a local, family run nursery and landscape company to help us out.
Even though it’s small, I was pretty overwhelmed thinking about what to do with this yard. I am used to planning interior rooms but this is my first experience working with an outdoor space. When we bought this home all the builder left us with was two trees (one of which is now dead) and the cemented patio.
I knew we needed more trees to help with our lack of privacy issue. I also want to replace those weeds (aren’t they lovely) with some nice grass for Olivia to play on. There is a lot to think about, so for planning and budgeting purposes it helped to break the project down into stages. Here is what I came up with:
- Plant more trees for shade and privacy. (We are REALLY close to our neighbors!)
- Install a sprinkler system.
- Lay out some sod.
- Plant hedges to hide the ugly AC unit.
- Purchase backyard furniture.
- Buy a new grill.
- Add some potted plants for extra greenery and color.
- Plant a fruit tree…I’m thinking lemon.
- Start a little herb garden somewhere.
- Install a pergola over the patio for more shade
- Equip pergola with spray misters. (It’s extremely hot here in the summer!)
- Add fabric curtain panels to the pergola for more privacy.
- I want a fountain back there at some point!
So today we are beginning stage 1. In fact, I am waiting for the landscaper to arrive now. Stage 2 and 3 will most likely come a few more months down the line. Yesterday we went over to the nursery and picked out the two kinds of trees we want and today those are suppose to be going in. I was told that this will be a three day project in total. So hopefully I will be able to show you some updated photos very soon!
I am really looking forward to getting this project started. It will be nice for Olivia to have a place to play outside this summer…even if it is a small space. Plus looking out our windows and seeing a dead tree and a bunch of weeds growing isn’t exactly pleasant. I am also excited to get those trees back there! Ideally they will help add a sense of separation from our neighbors who are practically right on top of us.